Ten Reasons Why You Should Stand By Your Mate
10. You'll never find another person who will pick up your dirty socks, or put up with your whining...for free.
9. You don't want to feel guilty when neither of you want the kids. :)
8. Who else will you wait up for?
7. Who's going to warm your side of the bed?
6. Dancing is pretty lame when you're the only one.
5. That coffee table book just does not scream, FUN!
4. You need someone to put the furnace filter in, don't you?
3. The cat could care less how your day was.
2. Well...it's easier to mate with another person. Duh.
1. God said to.
Alright. Just a little funny, but in all honesty, it has become an epidemic. When one marriage wears out, we just get a new one. Yet, this should not be.
- God created marriage as a reminder of His love. If we look all the way back to the very first couple, Adam and Eve, God formed man from the dust of the ground and woman from one of Adam's ribs. Then He gave them (and us) specific instructions, "Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh." Genesis 2:24
One flesh. What does that mean? It means exactly what it sounds like. Once a husband and wife have come together in sexual unity within the confines of marriage, they are now one unit no longer acting as two separate persons. They often begin to think a like, recognize what the others likes and dislikes are, understand what makes their spouse tick, etc. They should mirror and complement one another, protect one another, love one another, and nurture the relationship.
- Marriage was also instituted as a symbol. God wanted us always to remember the relationship established at the cross - that of Christ and His bride, the church. Jesus loved us so much that He died for us on the cross, then three days later rose again to defeat the sin hold on our lives. He freely offers salvation and eternal life to all who will gladly accept His proposal. Christ loves and cherishes His bride. Even now, He is preparing a place of eternal dwelling for her (us).
- No other relationship will satisfy. Because our enemy, Satan, lurks around seeking whom to devour, it is his goal to destroy what God has brought together. He often does so through temptations of others. Satan knows that we are easily deceived into believing the grass is greener on the other side. It's a lie! Do not fall into his trap. Though exciting at first, it will only lead to regret and long lasting damage to you, your spouse, your children and others close to the situation. You can never totally get back something that has been stolen from you. Though you can be forgiven and your marriage can survive, the memory of betrayal will always hang around your spouse's thoughts. Trust is a hard thing to rebuild, so please think about that before you check out the grass.
It is my sincere prayer and hope that wherever you are today in your marriage - whether you've been married one week or fifty years, you will seek God first; always look for the best in your mate; find creative ways to spend time together; build one another up; and always protect the gift you have been given. Besides...God said to.